Diseases to Watch Out For
There are a variety of diseases that can infect your pet if they lack proper protection. These include:
- Rabies: Rabies is a deadly virus that affects the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). With a mortality rate of virtually 100%, the best way to combat this disease is to prevent infection altogether. Skunks, raccoons, foxes, and bats are carriers of rabies.
- Distemper: Dogs and cats each have their own version of distemper. In dogs, it targets the respiratory system. In cats, it affects the intestines and bone marrow. Distemper is highly contagious among animals and also has a high mortality rate.
- Leptospirosis: Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection primarily affecting dogs. The bacteria can be found in water and soil and infects animals that either drink the contaminated water or have a small open wound through which the bacteria can enter into the bloodstream.
- Heartworm: Mosquitoes can pass heartworm larvae to their hosts if they manage a bite. Heartworm disease may take years to develop before clinical signs become apparent. Untreated, heartworm disease can be fatal, so your pet should be tested yearly for this parasite.
Vaccines for Dogs and Cats
Since we are AAHA-accredited, our hospital follows the vaccine guidelines set by the American Animal Hospital Association. Rabies and distemper are “core” vaccines, which means they’re highly recommended for your pet’s protection. Any other vaccines are lifestyle-based and given only as needed.
- Distemper (DHLPP)
- Bordetella (kennel cough)
- Feline distemper (FVRCP)
- Feline leukemia (recommended for outdoor cats)
Additional Vaccines We Offer
If your pet has an adventurous lifestyle and frequently travels with you, they may need additional vaccines. Our hospital also carries the Lyme disease, Canine Influenza, and Rattlesnake vaccines. Be sure to reach out to discuss your pet’s vaccine needs, as these could change depending on their age and lifestyle. Call (903) 300-1547 to schedule an appointment and ensure that your pet stays protected for years to come.
I couldn't be happier with my experience. My little girl, Wednesday was treated so well, the staff is very kind and understanding. Extremely informative and focused on the concerns I had with her.